Human authored Blog

Any use of the contents of this blog is expressly prohibited without author consent

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Nine Coaches Waiting: Drama and Suspense in this Gothic Romance

 

More Gothic romances by Mary Stewart


I had to wait a while to get Nine Coaches Waiting at my local library as it was buried in the stacks of our downtown library. It was an old copy, well used, but all the pages were intact.

Story: Governess Linda Martin arrives at a French mansion/chateau in eastern France near the Swiss border, to teach the young Count Philippe de Valmy the English language. She fears his uncle whom she thinks wants the death of her charge in order to inherit the Valmy estate. Linda falls in love with another uncle, Raoul, whom she fears is in on the plan to murder young Philippe. 

Setting: The chateau is set in the woods and forests, with a winding road leading uphill to it.  There is a wooden bridge over a stream that spans this road. Some of the drama of the story takes place on this very bridge.

Review: Wonderful suspense mixed with romance and drama as Linda tries to save young Philippe from her wicked uncles. Too bad she has fallen in love with one of the uncles. But is he really as wicked as the thinks?  I loved the days she spent running in the woods with Philippe in order to get away from the ones trying to kill him. A satisfying ending to the family story of inheritance and greed.


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was worth the wait! I enjoy books set in French chateaus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love Mary Stewart's work! Madam, Will You Talk? is probably my favourite, but I couldn't say exactly why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom had boxes and boxes of romantic suspense novels with authors like Mary Stewart. I read most of them when I lived at home. Mary Stewart was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not much of a romance reader, but I’ve not ever read a Gothic romance….

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever read a Mary Stewart novel, but the historical suspense sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me want to read Mary Stewart again. I used to love her books. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
    Thanks for sharing, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your comments!

Winter Reading List: Multiple Genres in Fiction

  Books Chosen for Winter Reading Sept. 28, 2026, romance This cozy Christmas romance follows an overworked publicist who is snowed in at th...